IMPORTANT: Microsoft has now released a slipstreamed SharePoint Server 2007 SP1 image here.
Installing SharePoint Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 RC1
1. You must enable the IIS7 Feature Role on Windows Server 2008 RC1 with .NET 3.0
From Control Panel, Programs and Features, Select 'Turn Windows Features On or Off'
Next, Under 'Server Manager, Features' Select '.NET Framework 3.0 Features'. When asked
to install the IIS7 role, select yes. Under IIS7 'Security', be sure to select the authentication
you want, i.e. Basic, NTLM, Kerberos, etc. Next, you must slipstream
Windows SharePoint Server 3.0 SP1 AND SharePoint Server 2007 SP1 into your SharePoint Server 2007
2. I used Winrar to extract the files from my SharePoint Server 2007 ISO, but you can also
copy them into a directory directly from the DVD. Create a directory, we'll use c:\Slipped for our installation point. Copy the entire DVD contents to c:\Slipped
3. Next, you must download and extract both Windows SharePoint Services SP1 and SharePoint Server 2007 SP1
you can get them here http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/12/11/announcing-the-release-of-wss-3-0-sp1-and-office-sharepoint-server-2007-sp1.aspx
First, create a directory to host the WSS 3.0 files after extraction. We will use c:\wsssp1
Second, create a directory to host the SharePoint Server 2007 files after extraction. We will use c:\mosssp1
Third, we will assume we have downloaded both service packs to c:\
Extract the WSS 3.0 service pack files by executing 'c:\wssv3sp1-kb936988-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe /extract:c:\wsssp1' Agree to the license terms, and the service pack will unpack.
Extract the SharePoint Server 2007 service pack by executing 'C:\officeserver2007sp1-kb936984-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe /extract:c:\mosssp1' Agree to the license terms, and the service pack will unpack.
4. Copy the service pack files from the above directories into the installation updates directory.
If you are using x64, replace the 'x86' in the following instructions.
Copy the contents of both c:\wsssp1 and c:\mosssp1 into 'c:\slipped\x86\updates'
5. Last, run the setup from the x86 directory, and it should install!